Thursday, December 20, 2007

a note about FOTI

I feel compelled to take a moment to explain this "Feast of the Incarnation" business a bit further. I am using this new term during this season because I have been increasingly aware of the very secular attitude surrounding Christmas, especially in my own life. Finding myself forgetting the true meaning of Christmas, and discussing this more accurate term with some friends, I decided to give it a whirl. It has been very beneficial for me to think about this holiday as a "feast" because I don't often use that word and it implies a very special, very long celebration. "The Incarnation" reminds me very specifically what I am supposed to be celebrating at Christmas. I am not against Church tradition, nor do I think that we ought to make an official switch in terminology from "Christmas" to "Feast of the Incarnation." I merely wanted to shake my own thought processes (and those of the few people around me) a bit this holiday season. Let the holiday cheer continue!

No comments: