Wednesday, December 19, 2007

holiday joys, the third

This morning I shall proclaim to the world my favorite Feast of the Incarnation hymns/carols:
*Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
*Joy to the World
*Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (the best part is, I can picture actual members of my family as I'm listening to this song, and getting run over by a reindeer is something that would actually have happened to my grandma)
*The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on a open fire...)
*March of the Three Kings (NOT We Three Kings)
*What Child is This?

And my all-time favorite Feast of the Incarnation hymn EVER WRITTEN---

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

THE BEST. The Gregorian chant style, the symbolic modulation from minor to major, the TEXT. I can't imagine a better hymn to celebrate the cosmic, convenantal significance of the coming of the Messiah. Seriously. Here is the first verse in Latin...

Veni, veni Emmanuel
Captivum solve Israel
Qui gemit in exilio
Privatus Dei filio

Gaude! Gaude! Emmanuel
Nascetur pro te, Israel

And in English, one of my many favorite verses...

O come, desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind.
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
and be Thyself our King of peace.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

AMEN!!!!

Okay, I may have to do a post later this season just for this hymn. We'll see...

More holiday joy later.

Peace

No comments: