Tuesday, July 1, 2008

interview offer...denied

Funny thing happened this morning. I got a mysterious phone call--I answered it, and it was a woman from Jewel. I had just applied at Jewel yesterday, so I was slightly excited. She told me that they're holding interviews tomorrow for a grocery clerk position (the one position of twenty that I decided to apply for), and proceeded to ask, "Are you going to away to school in the fall?"

Oh, cruel fate! Of course, I said, "Yes, I am." She replied, "So you won't be around much longer?" "No, I'm not, unfortunately." "Oh, okay," she said, sounding moderately embarassed, "We're really looking for someone who's going to be around..." I cut her off and said, "I completely understand. I was just giving it a shot. No worries." She then said goodbye and we hung up.

Mom and I decided today that it would be a waste of gas and energy to apply anywhere else (I've applied to three other places) since I am going back to school so soon. I mean, I'm basically available for only four and a half weeks of work at this point, now that I've thought about it, and no one in their right mind would hire me because it would take that long to train me. The only place I could concieveably work is a Quizno's. There's one in Naperville, but it's too far to drive and it's a very sketchy place (plus, my store and theirs have been fueding for years). However, the one in Oswego is owned by the woman who used to own my store, so I've given her a call to see if she'll take me back, even if it's just for a few hours a week. I'm supposed to hear from her today...

Peace

No comments: