Monday, January 7, 2008

requiem for a hard drive

Today...my hard drive finally bit the dust. 'Twas truly a melancholy event. Here is a poem that I wrote to mourn the loss of so many great files...

How long did he live?
Just under two years.
And how did he die?
He dissolved into tears.
The tears were mine
As I sat there and wept
And realized I'd lost
All those files I'd kept.
He fought so valiantly
To the bitter end!
Ne'er before have I had
Such a tried-and-true friend!
But then all was lost
And I saved what I could
From my dear old friend
Now as useless as...wood.
Could not save my coursework
No, too much to ask!
But I saved all my music--
What a daunting task!
From my old hard drive
I also save pics
But no more alive
He gave no more...kicks...

Yeah, so I'm not a poet, but you get the idea. Basically, it's only eighteen months old, which is not old for a hard drive, and it's been fading out over the past two months. Today, it stopped working altogether, was revived by my ever-so-diligent father long enough for me to rescue my music and photos (no Word files, those were long gone), and now it's useless. I can't open any programs. We ordered a new hard drive, but since my computer is SO OLD (sarcasm light) they don't carry the one I need anymore, so they had to find it in some warehouse a million miles away. It'll be shipped on Friday, probably to my parents' house, so I'll probably be installing it in February. Despite the distressing nature of this adventure, I am incredibly grateful that I was able to rescue my music--there are some things on my computer that I simply don't have anywhere else anymore, and it would have been quite painful to have to buy all of those CDs again.

Thanks to all those involved in helping me through the swift decline of my loyal hard drive. I couldn't have made it without you!

Peace

No comments: