Tuesday, August 12, 2008

nearly settled

I am completely moved in to my new apartment along with two of my four roommates, and it's so great. It was a long, hard week of packing and moving (we're on the third floor, no elevators) and gouging-out of drywall, and bruises...so many bruises. But the joy that I am experiencing right now erases all of that.

This whole summer I was feeling very displaced. I lived with my parents, and while I love them and their house is lovely, I just never really settled in there and felt the whole time like I was on some strange vacation. It made it very difficult for me to get any work done, and I was anxious much of the time. When I could make it back to the city, it was like a glorious homecoming--except it wasn't really my home. I was staying with my roommates, so it felt sort of like home (and they did a fantastic job of welcoming me), but I knew it wasn't really. So this whole summer I've been feeling very floaty and strange. Now that I'm back, I don't intend to leave. Ever. I mean, I'll probably move out of Chicago in a few years, but I'm not going back to my parents' house again, especially not with all of this furniture!

Peace

No comments: