Sunday, May 25, 2008

a small rant

Okay, so I'm sure this is a complete cliche on the blogosphere right now, but I MUST say something about gas prices. Four years ago, I was paying around two dollars a gallon and I thought that was a lot, but four dollars? Really? In a few months, no one is going to be able to afford to do anything, or buy groceries, or leave their houses. In case you haven't noticed, prices have gone up on everything because it costs more to deliver the product in the first place. So, no one can afford to drive to the grocery store, or buy groceries, or drive to work to make money to pay for gas to drive to work...

HOWEVER, despite all of this nonsense, good has come of the gas "crisis." At least for me. I now ride my bike everywhere possible (work, store, library) and have seen many others doing the same. I noticed a bunch of people riding their bikes to school with their kids--families that would normally drive their kids to school. And, when I ride my bike to work, I see all kinds of birds that I haven't seen in a long time like red-winged blackbirds, goldfinches, black-capped chickadees, and cardinals. Beautiful! I hope that in this time of low economics, our country's families are able to grow closer and develop comraderie as a result. It sounds naive, and it is, but hey, I'm still allowed to be a little optimistic!!

Peace

2 comments:

Peter said...

I like that you can even identify a black-capped chickadee. To grow more community-oriented is an honorable optimism, I think.

Peter

hrobins said...

Thanks, Peter. I hope you are having a wonderful summer so far!

Heather