Sunday, April 6, 2008

an exiting bit of news

Yesterday was the last choir concert of the year, and as much as I wish I felt otherwise, I was mostly relieved. We are finished with rehearsal, meaning that for the next four weeks I will have an extra four to six hours per week to work on all of my projects! Despite my lack of inspiration, the evening turned out well and I rounded it off nicely by watching "Snatch" with a couple of friends and reading At the Corner of East and Now by Frederica Mathewes-Green until 1:30am. I really need to stop reading late...

Anyway, back to the exciting bit of news. After the concert I approached Rollo to let him know about an appointment I had already made for next Wednesday during the rehearsal he had schedule last-minute. He said, "Oh, yes, that's all right. It's just a choral exchange thing anyway, and we're not really supposed to be having rehearsal." So I thanked him and prepared to leave and he said, "Actually, I'm glad I got a chance to talk to you. I've been putting together the program for next year..."
"Yes," I said knowlingly--Rollo's been sharing his ideas for next year with me since last semester.
"...And I really would like for you to be the alto section leader for me." Giant Rollo smile.
"Oh my goodness, of course! I mean, yeah, sounds good."
It was fantastic. I thanked him profusely and he told me that he had prayed over his decisions for a long time and it became apparent to him that he "needed my leadership" because he's making a lot of changes to the choir and he want's me to help him "galvanize them." Cool, eh? And here's the kicker--he thanked me for "all that [I] do for the choir." I really don't know what he's talking about. All I "do" is tell him how we could be better and how he should really push us more and how it's sad that so many people are consistently late. So, basically, I just whine...positively...-ish.

Well, the bottom line is, I'm going to lead the alto section of University Choir next year and I'm SO EXCITED! Thank you for celebrating with me.

Peace

No comments: